As a published author it is important to acknowledge that certain ethics come with the job. I pride myself in being professional with a high level of honestly, integrity and passion. I write many of my blog posts from my experience in the publishing and sales world. My publishing background has evolved from my original journey as a self-published author in 2012 to an Indie Amazon Bestseller as of today. My sales background includes ten years in sales, seven of which have been spent in the financial industry, including six years experience as a supervisor and top selling agent for the institution I worked for. I am currently a Retail Banking Operations Manager and Project Manager who develops Sales Campaigns, Initiatives and Training programs for the bank, along with numerous duties involving maintenance of 220+ procedures (writing, editing, creating and monitoring) and marketing projects. I am also studying to receive my degree in Marketing and plan on pursuing a second degree in Graphic Design.
As a published author, my reading has taken a significant hit because of time restrictions, but also ethical issues. It’s much easier to write a review when you aren’t an author. When you are, any criticism is not taken kindly. That being said I would like to disclose the following as my strict policies for reviewing:
- I never accept review copies from other authors. If asked I will politely decline and advise that I will look at the book description, and if interested, I will purchase the book and review it in my own time.
- I will no longer post reviews of Self-Published or Independent Authors that are three stars and under. I will rate the novel as is such on Goodreads, and post that the author may contact me for a full review if they are interested. I will not rate novels under three stars of authors I personally know or have an acquaintance with. This creates a blackmail situation in which I do not wish to be involved.
- I will follow the following format when reviewing novels:
- Star Ratings can and may have 1/2 Stars
- Each Review will include an Overall Star Rating
- Each Review will be broken down into the following individual Star Ratings with explanations for the ratings:
-Book Description: 1-5 Stars; 5 being the best
-Cover: 1-5 Stars; 5 being the best
-Plot: 1-5 Stars; 5 being the best
-Creativity: 1-5 Stars; 5 being the best
-Grammar: 1-5 Stars; 5 being error free (this will NEVER happen, not even with major pubbed books)
-Simile Use: 1-5 Stars; 5 stars being the best, meaning no similes were used. 1 meaning similes were used in excess and pulled me out of the novel.
-Description: 1-5 Stars; 5 being the best
-Show Not Tell: 1-5 Stars; 5 being the best- dialogue driven without excessive and obtrusive description
Additionally, please keep the following in mind for reviews of my novels:
- I do not respond to negative reviews of my own novels, but I may, at my discretion, respond to positive reviews.
- I never pay for reviews.
- I do directly contact bloggers to request reviews.
- I will never ask a reviewer to not post a review because it doesn’t show my novel in the best light. That is their right. If they are a part of the blog tour for the release of the novel that is hosted by myself and or my publisher, I will state that I prefer the review not be posted as a part of the tour–but I do not require/condemn it.
- You can contact me if you would like to review any of my novels via Goodreads messaging.
- I may share good reviews on Social Media, but will not concentrate on them.
- I hold the right to not read each and every review that is written for my novels.
- I disclose that I do not read reviews of my novel that are personal attacks (yes, these do happen).
- I disclose that I do not tend to read reviews that are 2 stars or under.
- I respect a reviewers opinion. I acknowledge that my writing style is not for everyone.
- Don’t be surprised if I like a JPEG you created for your review and ask if I can use it in marketing materials, but I will always ask permission and give credit on the materials to your blog or you.
- I save all fan art to my Pintrest board.
Any reviews posted before the release date of my novels will be of UNEDITED Advance Reader Copies (hence referred to as ARCs). An ARC is an unedited Galley that is distributed by myself and my publisher before the publication date to solicit early reviewers; this includes both electronic and paperback additions. The novel is disclosed as an ARC with with words “Unedited Advance Reader Copy” on the electronic or paperback cover. The following disclosure is issued to each receiver of the ARC from myself and my publisher:
This is an UNEDITED Advance Reader Copy that will contain grammar and syntax errors. The final version of this novel may appear slightly different in content, but plot and characters will remain the same.
E-ARCS will additionally have the following disclosure:
This novel is a review copy for your use and your use only. This file is not to be shared, forwarded, or otherwise misused under copyright law.
The paperback versions will be used for promotional purposes and will also include the word “PROOF” on the back page. This will never be sold for a profit. Additional information and format changes may occur before the final version is released.
In addition to being used to solicit early reviewers, the electronic version will be utilized as a gift to those that participate in Promotional Events before the release date of the novel, including, but not limited to, cover reveals. If you participate in a Promotional Event and are given an E-ARC, reviews are welcome, but not required.
Reviewers are asked to take into account that any copies (ARCs) given before the publishing date contain such errors.
I do cross promote other authors on my blog. This doesn’t necessarily mean I have read their work, but I do believe in assisting other authors in their goals. I reserve Fridays as promotional days for other authors, but may participate in tours on other days if they cannot or do not fall on a Friday. My release dates (including cover reveals) do fall on Fridays, and I will promote my own novel on Feature Fridays. Feature Friday is open to authors to approach myself for interviews, cover reveals, or other promotional items with the exception of reviews (see the above review policy).
While I have published Young Adult novels, and write/illustrate Children’s Novels, this blog will be utilized to promote my New Adult novel and other novels in the genre. Thus, the rating is PG-18 due to slight to moderate sexual content and language that may be contained in Excerpts or Teasers.